Home / Constituent Services / Federal Agency Help

Federal Agency Help

Department of Labor

If you would like to request my help with an issue involving the Department of Labor, begin by printing and filling out a privacy authorization form and then fax or mail it to one of my offices listed below. 


Amarillo Office
620 South Taylor Street, Suite 200 
Amarillo, 79101-3541
T (806) 371-8844 F (806) 371-7044
Office Hours: 8:30 to 5:30 (CST)


 Wichita Falls Office
2525 Kell Blvd, Suite 406 
Wichita Falls, Texas 76308 
  T (940) 692-1700 F (940) 692-0539
Office Hours: 8:30 to 5:30 (CST)

Department of Labor Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How can I get information about federal laws involving overtime, work hours, and other employment issues?
A: The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), which prescribes standards for the basic minimum wage and overtime pay, affects most private and public employment. It requires employers to pay covered employees who are not otherwise exempt at least the federal minimum wage and overtime pay of one-and-one-half-times the regular rate of pay. For nonagricultural operations, it restricts the hours that children under age 16 can work and forbids the employment of children under age 18 in certain jobs deemed too dangerous. For agricultural operations, it prohibits the employment of children under age 16 during school hours and in certain jobs deemed too dangerous. The Act is administered by the Employment Standards Administration's Wage and Hour Division within the U.S. Department of Labor.
Click here to read the Department of Labor's "Handy Reference Guide to the Fair Labor Standards Act"

Q: How do I take advantage of the Family and Medical Leave Act?
A: There are many misconceptions about the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) of 1993. For example, in most cases you need to talk to your employer about it before you take time off. Also, the law affects all public employers, but only private employers who have 50 or more employees. Click the link below to find more information on the FMLA.
Click here to read the Department of Labor's FMLA Fact Sheet

Q: Must employers grant leave to employees called up by the National Guard or Reserve?
A: Yes, an employee must be granted a leave of absence to perform military service.

Q: How do I find out if I qualify for veterans’ preference?
A: Veterans' preference is available to certain categories of veterans when applying for jobs with the federal government. Eligibility requirements and other regulations dealing with veterans preference are regulated by the Office of Personnel Management. States may also have their own veterans' preference regulations for state government jobs. If you believe your veterans' preference rights have been violated, contact your local VETS office.

Q: What is the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act?
A: The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) was signed into law on October 13, 1994. USERRA is intended to minimize the disadvantages to an individual that occur when that person needs to be absent from his or her civilian employment to serve in this country's uniformed services. USERRA makes major improvements in protecting servicemember rights and benefits by clarifying the law and improving enforcement mechanisms. It also provides employees with Department of Labor assistance in processing claims. Specifically, USERRA expands the cumulative length of time that an individual may be absent from work for uniformed services duty and retain reemployment rights.
Click here for more information on USERRA

Department of Labor Forms

Click here to access the most frequently requested Department of Labor forms.