Home / Constituent Services / Federal Agency Help

Federal Agency Help

Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration handles several important federal programs.  I have many constituents that contact me each month with questions about their retirement, Medicare, and their applications for disability benefits.  

I am always happy to help constituents who need assistance with a disability claim. However, there are limits to what I can do. 

At my request, Social Security officials will "flag" a particular case and keep me updated throughout the process. This communication can really help a person understand what is happening with their case, so they can make other decisions regarding their life and family. However, I cannot act as the "representative" on a person's disability paperwork. 

You may want an attorney to help you with this. My actions will not affect the work done by the person you select as your representative. I also do not have the authority to overturn any decision made by the Social Security Administration. After you file the paperwork for disability benefits with your local Social Security office, I would be pleased to follow the progress of your claim.If you would like my help with a Social Security issue, begin by printing and filling out a privacy authorization form and then fax or mail it to one of my offices listed below. 

Amarillo Office
620 South Taylor Street, Suite 200 
Amarillo, 79101-3541
T (806) 371-8844 F (806) 371-7044
Office Hours: 8:30 to 5:30 (CST)


 Wichita Falls Office
2525 Kell Blvd, Suite 406 
Wichita Falls, Texas 76308 
  T (940) 692-1700 F (940) 692-0539
Office Hours: 8:30 to 5:30 (CST)

Here are a few of the most common issues my office receives that deal with this agency:

Checking Your Application Status Online

You can check the status of your disability application by visiting the Social Security Administration website here.

Disability Claim Processing

An application for Social Security Disability can take from 6 weeks to several years to handle, depending on a variety of factors.
  • Initial Processing - 6 to 8 weeks - Some cases are approved in this first step. If your case is denied at this level, you are encouraged to apply for Reconsideration. 
  • Reconsideration - 6 to 8 weeks - Like the Initial Processing, this is all done through paperwork. If your case is denied here, you are encouraged to request a hearing in front of an Administration Law Judge. 
  • Hearings and Appeals - 12 to 24 months - An Administrative Law Judge will hear your claim at this level. It usually takes 9 to 12 months to get a hearing. It can take a few months longer to get a decision. You may want to get an attorney or other qualified individual to help represent you in your hearing. If you are denied at this level, you can appeal your case to the Appeals Council. 
  • Appeals Council - 24 to 36 months - If your claim is not approved by the Appeals Council, your only option is to file a lawsuit if you want to continue your claim.
Locating a Social Security Administration Office

You can locate the nearest Social Security Administration office in Texas by clicking here to visit their website.

Information for Wounded Warriors

Military service members can receive expedited processing of disability claims from Social Security.  Benefits available through Social Security are different than those from the Department of Veterans Affairs and require a separate application.  The expedited process is used for military service members who become disabled while on active military service on or after October 1, 2001, regardless of where the disability occurs.

Find more information about this process by clicking here.

Reporting Fraud, Waste, and Abuse

You can report Social Security fraud, waste, or abuse through the following ways:


U.S. Mail: Social Security Fraud Hotline
P.O. Box 17785
Baltimore, Maryland 21235

FAX: 410-597-0118

Telephone: 1-800-269-0271 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time

TTY: 1-866-501-2101 for the deaf or hard of hearing.

If you have questions or comments about any issue involving the Social Security Administration, feel free to call my office.